I take a keen interest in my patients’ overall well-being. I look at how the mouth impacts the body. In the past several years research has helped us realize how dentistry can help people who suffer from sleep apnea and snoring. Are you aware that sleep apnea is undiagnosed in 80% of cases?
• Not being treated for sleep apnea can possibly reduce your life span by 8 years.
• Snoring is “pathological” – contrary to previous belief that it is “normal”.
Some of the consequences of sleep apnea on our cardiovascular system are:
• 25% of sleep apnea patients have cardiac ischemia
• 50% of sleep apnea patients have hypertension
• 40% of people with stroke have sleep apnea
• 40% of people with a myocardial condition have sleep apnea
Some of the consequences on our neurocognitive system are:
• Excessive daytime sleepiness
• Increased motor vehicle accidents, work accidents and poor job performance
• Lower threshold leading to depression
• Reduced quality of life
• 80% of ADD/ADHD diagnosed patients have sleep apnea
Snoring and sleep apnea are widespread. We have incorporated into our practice specialized screening tools including a pharyngometer, rhinometer and take-home sleep recording devices. We work in conjunction with medical doctors and sleep disorder specialists in order to arrive at a definitive diagnosis. The anti-snoring and sleep apnea intra-oral appliances, which are individually fabricated, help patients have better quality sleep thus increasing their quality of life.
Dr. Dana Colson