I love weeding, maybe it's my form of mediation!
But… I'm assuming most "normal" people don’t like weeds!
I have a number of organic weed control methods to get rid of those pesky weeds. Different methods will suit different weeds and garden areas.
The easiest way to combat weeds is to keep on top of them and also get them while they're small. It doesn't take long and they can get out of control.
If you are starting a new veggie patch, then get rid of the existing weeds first.
Note: as there are no super powered chemicals here, you may need to reapply. Also these are not selective so try to spray only the weeds and not grass or other plants.
- Pull them out by hand or garden hoe (my favourite garden tool!)
- Pour boiling water on them (this is good for driveways, paved areas).
- Spray vinegar on your weeds. It is the acetic acid in the vinegar that does the job. Older weeds may resprout. Household vinegar has a fairly low acetic acid level but should be fine for most weeds. Higher level vinegars are available.
- Put a teaspoon of fine salt into the heart of the weed.
- Combine these and add some dishwashing liquid – voila a vinegar salt spray – be careful, don’t use on concrete. The salt will sterilise the soil so best to spray into the heart of the weed. Use 1 cup of salt, 1 tablespoon of dish liquid to 3.5 – 4 litres of vinegar
- In a garden bed you can put down 6-8 layers of newspaper to keep any weeds that may be hiding. Put a layer of soil or mulch on top and you can still plant your veggies through…