Vibrant health and natural beauty are matters of keeping your energy channels clean and clear. This spring is the perfect time to take yourself on a special journey and begin the detoxification process.
You spring clean your house-so why not do the same for your body? We depend on our body to do so much for us, and it depends on us to take care of it. If you have been feeling weighed down or less shiny than you would like, now is the time for a little spring tune-up that will give you that gorgeous spring glow!
Our ability to detoxify can be a key factor to overall health and beauty. A detox can help to:
- Renew your energy, concentration and immune function
- Rejuvenate your cells and ‘youth-ify’ your body, mind and spirit
- Release extra weight and regenerate your skin
- Reset your appetite and shrink your stomach
- Reduce puffiness, bloating, aches and pains
- Revitalize your natural joy for life
- Raise your vibration and reconnect spiritually
- Release, relax and renew
Although our bodies automatically detoxify daily, this natural process could use a little help from time to time. A detox program is a holistic approach that restricts certain foods from a diet for a period of time, while increasing specific foods, herbs or supplements for nourishment. A detox program also includes practices such as deep breathing, stretching, sweating or skin-brushing, which can further your results.
Let go of foods containing chemical preservatives, salt, sugar, rancid fats (such as fried foods) and add in raw plant foods that are hydrating and nourishing for a soothing rest on your digestive system. With this switch, you will quickly feel a sense of rejuvenation.
Fresh fruits and veggies are key foods to include in any detox program because they contain lots of water to help flush out toxins, while adding in phytonutrients and detoxifying enzymes.
Sun-kissed leaves are powerhouses containing green gold: chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is the blood of the plant. It helps neutralize toxic acidity in our system caused by poor diet, overeating, or stressful thoughts. When you are green on the inside, you are clean on the inside!
Drinking Your Greens
The effects of drinking the juice of leafy greens and other vegetables is like drinking from the “Fountain Of Youth”, and all you have to do is try it for yourself to see why.
Green juices made with about 50 percent greens, fruits and veggies are a great source of sodium, potassium and magnesium. These particular minerals keep your electrolytes balanced and your cells plumped up and hydrated.
Here are two delicious recipes to enjoy during a detox:
Pineapple contains proteolytic enzymes, which means it helps to break down stored proteins in the body and can reduce inflammation.
1/3 pineapple, skin removed and cored
1 cup of parsley or kale
A few leaves of fresh mint
Juice all the ingredients. Drink immediately and receive a transfusion of active, detoxifying enzymes. This is the kind of cocktail you can drink all day long and feel good about later!
This is a simple, fast and delicious pudding that is sweet and tangy and contains no dairy, gluten or added sugar.
1 to 2 mangoes, peeled and pitted
1 ripe banana
1 lime, squeezed
½ cup of spinach or parsley
Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy and savor with a spoon. This little treat will give you energy to dance all night long!
Helpful Detox Hints
While on a detox, here are some ideas to enhance your experience:
- Clear your cupboards of temptation, and cut out clutter. Clutter in your space is a drain on your energy, so ditch the debris and feel free.
- Unplug from media and reconnect with nature. Go for walks in the fresh air and enjoy the regenerative nourishment of silence and rest.
- A bath using dead sea salts, clay or magnesium baths (epsom salts) is a great addition during your detox journey. Adding a drop or two of pure essential oils, like lavender, rosemary, sage, spruce or lemon, is an aromatic special treat that also helps detoxification. Light a candle and bathe in a glowing peace and warmth. Even a foot bath will work wonders!
- Let your emotions flow like rain-this may be a sun shower, or may be a torrential downpour. Tears can be a sacred medicine. While you may feel a little drained and dehydrated, drink a green juice with celery and lemon, or a nice ginger or mint tea. Be tender with your heart.
- Use a journal (make it a real one, not a computer file) where you can write out your intentions for your detox: what you want or do not want to eat, how you want to feel afterwards, what special practices you may want to try. Most importantly, this journal can be a place to collect your reflections and dreams for yourself.
You may have lost touch with your inner self during the winter, but a regular detox can reactivate your vitality and radiance to bring him or her out! Open the floodgates of health and beauty with a simple spring cleanse that will make you look and feel so fresh and alive that you glow!
Photo Credit: karimian