- 1 cup beets, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp Maison Orphée organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (more or less, depending on your taste)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp organic Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp Maison Orphée red wine vinegar
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Read more about the importance of organic spices
- Using a covered saucepan, boil beets and carrots in just enough water to cover the vegetables until tender. Allow to cool.
- Blend cooked beets, carrots, and about 1/2 cup of water from the pot until smooth.
- In a large skillet, sautée onions and garlic over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Stir in the beet and carrot puree, spices, vinegar, and stock. Cover and cook until sauce reaches a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, uncover, and simmer for up to 4 hours.
Note: If sauce gets too thick, add more stock and continue to simmer to desired consistency.
Image: Emilie Hardman
Leave a Comment