Jerky is a great option for a healthy, protein-filled snack. Unfortunately, many store-bought varieties can be high in sugar and filled with unnecessary additives and preservatives.
Jerky is surprisingly easy to make. It is also cost-effective and you don't need any fancy equipment such as a dehydrator to make it. While it may take some time from prep to end there really isn't much hands-on time, making this a super easy snack to make.
When making your jerky, give yourself 2 days before expecting to reap the rewards of this recipe. It's best to marinate overnight and then use the next day drying your meat. This is a recipe where your patience will definitely pay off.
Ingredients you will need
1 lb Meat, (turkey, beef round steak or venison)
¼ cup Tamari, reduced-sodium
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Coconut sugar
2 tsp Onion powder
2 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
4 tsp Tabasco sauce, (optional, adjust to taste)
- Slice the meat cutting into strips about 4 inches long and 1/8 inches thick. (The slicing is easier if the meat is partially frozen.)
- Mix all ingredients (other than the meat) together in a bowl then add to dish you'll be using to marinate in. Add strips of meat into marinade ensuring all meat strips are well coated. Marinade in the fridge for 8-24 hours, turning over occasionally.
- Take the strips out of the marinade and lightly pat dry with a paper towel to dry off excess liquid.
- Layout on a lined baking sheet in an even layer.
- Set the oven on its lowest setting (l00-150 F) and use something to keep the door slightly ajar. "Cook" for 8 – 12 hours*, or until meat is fully dried out.
- Once done, remove from oven and allow to fully cool on the tray.
- Store in a container at room temperature.
*Keep an eye on your jerky during drying time. The drying time will vary depending on thickness of meat, cut of meat, meat type and temperature of oven. 8 hours is usually a minimum and then keep an eye on it past this point.
For more healthy recipes, be sure to sign up for our newsletter: