Here is a recipe for Moo Shu Wraps which is easily adaptable for both meat eaters and vegetarians. You can make it with pork, chicken or tofu. The egg is also optional. If you are preparing this dish with meat, be sure to thinly slice and pre-cook in sesame oil before adding it to the cabbage mixture.
Moo Shu Wraps
3-4 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp minced ginger
3-4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 block organic tofu sliced in strips (or meat of your choice)
2 green onions, chopped
4 cups shredded cabbage (mix of green and purple)
1 grated carrot
2 tbsp low sodium tamari soy sauce, preferably organic
Rice paper soaked as per package instructions
Hoisin sauce – recipe below
Optional: 1 egg
1. Cut tofu into strips and marinate in tamari and sesame oil while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. If adding the egg, scramble it in sesame oil and then remove from pan.
3. Pour 2-3 tsp of sesame oil into a large frying pan and cook garlic and ginger until soft.
4. Add shiitake mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes, until soft.
5. Add cabbage and cook until it wilts. If mixture gets dry add more sesame oil.
6. Add tofu and continue cooking.
7. Stir in green onions.
8. Add egg or meat (pre-cooked), if using.
9. Add tamari sauce and cook until warmed through.
4 tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp sesame oil
Mix ingredients until smooth.
To serve the Moo Shu Wraps, spoon the cabbage mixture onto prepared rice paper. Drizzle with hoisin sauce, roll like a burrito and enjoy.
This recipe originally appeared on Nutrilicious.ca.