If you constantly fight fatigue, tiredness, or a lack of energy, you are not alone. Fatigue is one of the most common concerns among women today. How often do we say or hear the words, "I am stressed out?" Feeling stressed with not enough time for pleasurable activities, relaxation or get adequate sleep are major contributors to fatigue and burnout. The good new is that with some simple lifestyle modifications you can boost your energy levels and put some zest back into your life.
Here are eight steps to boost energy, fight fatigue and optimize your health and energy levels:
1. Eat a healthful and well-balanced diet. Whole grains, vegetables, and fruits provide us with sustained energy along with essential fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Ensure adequate protein to build and maintain lean muscle mass. Good protein sources include fish, lean poultry, beans and seeds.
Read more about healthy eating tips for a busy lifestyle
2. Develop Good Sleep Habits. Aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night. Get into a routine of going to bed and rising at the same time each day. If you are struggling to get a good night sleep, consider a natural remedy that contains L-theanine, 5-HTP and melatonin. These nutrients can help improve sleep quality.
3. Get regular exercise. Exercise boosts energy levels and improves your overall feeling of well-being. It also helps reduce stress and improves sleep. Try walking or bike riding.
4. Manage your stress. Try meditation, yoga or deep breathing exercises. Simply taking five deep breaths when you feel stressed can help promote immediate calming and relaxation.
5. Take a multivitamin with antioxidants. A multivitamin can help make up for gaps in your diet and ensure that your body gets all the vital nutrients needed to function optimally. B-vitamins are required for energy production in the body and they also help combat the effects of stress. Antioxidants fight free radical damage, which can result from too much stress. Look for a multi that contains antioxidants, such as pomegranate, lycopene, and grape seed extract.
6. Limit your intake of alcohol and nicotine. Alcohol makes you drowsy and impairs sleep. Nicotine it a potent stimulant that can cause irritability, anxiety, and impair sleep quality.
7. Drink adequate fluids. Dehydration can cause fatigue, headache and impair concentration. Drink lots of purified water and when you feel like you want a boost have a cup of green tea. The antioxidants and amino acids in green tea can boost energy levels and provide other health benefits.
8. Consider a natural energy booster. Certain herbs and nutrients can help increase energy levels and stamina without causing over-stimulation. Look for a supplement that contains ingredients such as guarana, ginseng, green tea and rhodiola to help give you a lift.
If you suffer with persistent fatigue, talk to your doctor. Aside from stress and lack of sleep, fatigue may be caused by prescription medication, depression, low thyroid, fibromyalgia, and anemia.
Image: Michal Hrabovec