Yum, waffles. These citrus pecan waffles will be a hit at your next brunch. Make extras and store them in the freezer, if there are any leftovers.
½ cup Uncle Matt's Organic Orange juice or freshly squeezed orange juice
½ cup of coconut milk
2 eggs, separated and at room temperature
3 tbsp grass-fed butter, (or coconut oil) melted
2 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 tsp orange peel, finely grated
1 ½ tsp lemon peel, finely grated
1 cup organic unbleached spelt flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
3 tbsp xylitol
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Blend the orange juice, milk, egg yolks, butter (or coconut oil), lemon juice and grated peels in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix into liquid ingredients and then stir in the finely chopped pecans.
- Beat whites in another bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add the xylitol and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold 1/4 of whites into batter to lighten, then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour enough batter needed for your waffle iron and bake until waffles are golden brown.
- Once done, remove and set aside and keep warm.
- Repeat this process until all batter is used.
- Serve with some whipped coconut cream, a squeeze of fresh orange and/or lemon juice, a small drizzle of maple syrup and a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon.
Try this recipe next: Orange Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Sign up for our newsletter to receive new recipes to your inbox: