Your skin is the face you present to the world. It is also your largest organ and the one that shields your body from many environmental factors while also bearing the brunt of their assaults. Skincare is a daily, year-round task. You constantly need to deal with the effects of your environment, be it sunlight, wind, heat and cold, air pollution, fabrics, and chemicals found in everyday products such as cosmetics, personal care items, and household cleaners.
For these reasons and more, it is essential that you take extra care of your skin, both from the inside and out. Exotic oils can be one important tool in your skincare survival kit.
What type of skin do you have?
To provide the best care for your skin, it’s necessary to know your skin type. Here we are talking about identifying and treating facial skin, as it is thinner and more sensitive than the rest of the skin on your body and also has fewer skin cells.
Here is a quick and easy way to identify your facial skin type. Once you know your skin type, you can choose the skin care products that are best for you.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and then pat it dry gently.
- Wait 30 minutes.
- If your skin feels tight and is scaly or flaky, you probably have dry skin.
- If your skin looks shiny, you likely have oily skin.
- If your skin is shiny only on your forehead, nose, and chin (the “T” zone), you probably have combination skin—a combination of dry and oily skin.
- If your skin feels comfortable, hydrated, and non-oily, you likely have normal skin.
- If your skin stings, burns, itches, and/or is red, you probably have sensitive skin, typically triggered by environmental factors or certain ingredients such as fragrances and dyes.
Now that you’ve identified your skin type, let’s explore some exotic oils that can bring out the very best in your skin.
Exotic oils for your skin type
Numerous exotic oils are available for treating and healing your skin. You can use these oils on different skin types, so you can choose which ones meet your specific needs.
- Argan oil is fast absorbing and moisturizing and also helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles while leaving a fresh glow.
- Moringa oil improves skin texture and tone and reduces the appearance of wrinkles and age spots.
- Rosehip seed oil is fast absorbing and helps revitalize dry, dull skin. This oil also can improve skin elasticity and firmness. A favorite of mine.
- Seabuckthorn seed oil helps repair and nourish dry skin and improves elasticity.
- Tamanu oil hydrates the skin and helps it retain moisture. It also reduces the signs of aging.
- Pomegranate seed oil helps really dry skin retain moisture and reduces wrinkles.
Other exotic oils to consider include baobab, cacao, cranberry seed, goji, and marula seed.
Other natural skin care products
You can use other natural skin care products and techniques to support and promote your skin care.
- Collagen supplements work from within to promote the production of the protein collagen as well as enhance skin density, elasticity, and appearance.
- Green tea extract contains catechins, powerful antioxidants that support healthy skin and reduce puffy eyes.
- Biotin, or vitamin B7, helps maintain healthy skin.
- Squalene is an extract from olive oil and a powerful antioxidant that promotes healthy skin from within.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant that strengthens skin cell walls.
- Probiotics can help with skin inflammation and skin hypersensitivity.
- Resveratrol is an antioxidant that protects the skin and improves its appearance. Research shows it has beneficial effects on skin aging.
- CoQ10 research has shown that supplements can improve skin smoothness and signs of aging.
Also, consider these precautionary steps to protect your skin:
- If the air is dry in your home or office, use a humidifier. It’s a plus for your skin if you add essential oils to the humidifier.
- Avoid direct contact with indoor heating vents and fireplaces, as they are very drying.
- Stay well hydrated year-round: keep a water bottle with you so you can sip throughout the day.
- Gently exfoliate your skin. The general recommendation is once or twice a week for dry or sensitive skin and two to three times a week for oily and combination skin.
Using and buying exotic oils
Exotic skin oils are helpful for all skin types, even oily skin, and combination skin. The use of oils on oily skin is hydrating and doesn’t make your skin more oily because the skin absorbs the oil and then it dampens down the skin’s own oil production. You’ll find you have fewer clogged pores and your complexion will be more balanced overall.
When buying exotic oils, look for pure, organic, or wildcrafted products that have been tested and certified safe from heavy metals, solvents, pesticides, and other potential contaminants. ISO-17025 accredited laboratories adhere to the highest testing standards, so products tested in such facilities are a safer bet. Avoid products that contain additives other than natural preservatives such as rosemary, vitamin E (tocopherols), or green tea extracts. Exotic oils make the perfect gift for yourself or for a special someone in your life!
Exotic oils and other natural skin care routines are essential for supporting and promoting your skin health and appearance. Explore the available options and choose products that work best with your skin type. We love the selection of skin oils from New Roots Herbal. In Canada, you'll find them at your local health food store and in the US you can purchase them from Amazon.