This wonderful creamy red lentil squash soup is a family favorite. The spices—coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric—blend beautifully with the sweet flavor of the butternut squash and the red lentils. The lentils are a nutritional powerhouse: rich in protein, fiber and vitamins and minerals. The squash adds a wonderful texture as well as a burst of vitamins A and C. All this in a yummy, comforting soup.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (20 oz) packages of fresh peeled and diced butternut squash
- 9 cups water
- 1 ½ cup dry red lentils
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1½ tsp salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan and stir in the chopped onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and tomato concentrate and stir.
- Add the butternut squash and water and bring to a boil uncovered.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes covered.
- Add the lentils, stir and continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until the butternut squash and lentils are very soft.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Place in food processor or blender and purée until smooth.
- Ladle in a soup bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of coriander and cinnamon.
- Stir the surface gently so as to get a swirl on the surface…et voilà!
This post originally appeared on Cuisinicity.com.