If you are so lucky to have fresh peaches at your local market, here is a peach almond cobbler that I think you will LOVE! It is delectable and of course so much more nutritious than the typical cobbler recipe. I have added ground almonds not only to add nutritional value but also to make it almost “buttery” tasting. I am using a mixture of regular Melt Buttery Sticks (only 2 Tbsp for the whole cobbler!) and low fat kefir instead of saturated fat butter to keep the topping moist and absolutely perfect. I am also using whole wheat pastry flour (that’s soft wheat) and rolled oats to add fiber. I am purposely not adding any salt at all to this cobbler as is typically done because there is no need for it to accentuate the flavor: the sweet ripe peaches with the cinnamon and almond extract already do just that!
Cuisinicity Tip: you can also use fat free buttermilk instead of kefir but I prefer kefir in general because it is much lower in sodium, and although I use all of 1 Tbsp, who needs any extra superfluous sodium, right?!
PEACH FILLING5 cups peeled and sliced fresh ripe peaches (about 10 medium peaches)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp almond extract
1 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup ground almond meal (or finely ground unsalted almonds*)
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp (+ 1 tsp) Melt Buttery Sticks, room temperature
1 Tbsp lowfat kefir
*(you can also grind whole dry roasted unsalted almonds instead).
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spread 1 tsp Melt Buttery Sticks on a 9 inch pie dish.
- Mix all PEACH FILLING ingredients in a bowl (make sure to keep as much of the juice of the peaches as possible) and place in pie dish.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add Melt Buttery Sticks and kefir to the dry mixture and work with your fingers to make into a crumbly mixture
- Sprinkle evenly over filling
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes, until the top is golden and the juices are sizzling.
This recipe originally appeared on Cuisinicity.com