These gluten-free scones are made with pure apple flour. Blended from fresh apples in Washington State, Hearthy Foods, makes this sweet flour that is perfect for baking. Here we combine it with one of our favorite fruits, blueberries. These scones are perfect for a snack or brunch. Enjoy.
1 large egg or 1 batch flax egg (1 tbsp. (7grams) flaxseed meal + 2 ½ tbsp. (37 ml) water)
¾ cup cold unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 cup (120 grams) Hearthy Apple Flour
½ cup (52 grams) Hearthy Oat Flour
½ cup (52 grams) Hearthy Coconut Flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. coconut sugar or cane sugar
½ tsp. sea salt
Pinch of cinnamon
Zest of one orange
6 tbsp. room temperature coconut oil or coconut butter (should be scoopable, not liquid and not frozen) or chilled, unsalted butter
½ cup frozen or fresh blueberries
A little additional sugar for sprinkling on the tops of the scones
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the egg or flax egg and non-dairy milk, set aside.
- Using a food processor or a blender, process the apple flour, oat flour, coconut flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the zest and pulse.
- Add the coconut oil or butter in small pieces and pulse to combine. Do not process, the mixture should not be uniform. You should be able to see little bits of coconut oil and butter. You can also mix the coconut oil or butter by hand using your fingers or with a pastry cutter, cutting the oil or butter into the flour mixture. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg and non-dairy milk mixture and pulse or stir to JUST incorporate.
- Using a wooden spoon, add blueberries and gently stir once more to incorporate.
- Gently transfer to a floured surface and use your hands to form it into a disc about 1 inch in height. Use a large knife to cut the circle into 6 or 8 even wedges. Then use a floured spatula to transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with a bit more sugar.
- Bake for 22-27 min or until fluffy and light golden brown on the edges. Let cool slightly before enjoying.
Makes 8 scones
Best when fresh. Once completely cooled, store leftovers at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or freeze. These are delicious plain, but they would also be delicious heated with a bit of vegan or non-vegan butter.