I recently read an online tutorial which assured me that I could make my own chocolate vodka with two simple ingredients and… a dishwasher? What?
Of course, my curiosity was intrigued. A few of my friends decided to try it last night, and… it worked! Mostly!
1. Vodka – The recipe says you could use cheap vodka, as the chocolate masks the taste. It does mask the taste somewhat, but the better the vodka you chose, the better this will taste. We used Smirnoff (the bottle above was about $36.00 CAN), my friends used Alberta Pure (about $33.00 CAN), and even then the difference was notable.
2. Chocolate Bars – We used Mars bars, as called for in the recipe. Any chocolate bar will do, as long as there are no fruit and/or nuts, because they will not melt properly. You’ll need 5-6 full size bars for a 1.14L of vodka.
1. Chop Mars Bars into strips thin enough to fit through the neck of the vodka bottle.
2. Pour out about a third to half of the vodka into a glass. Save for a future use (like waiting for your chocolate vodka to finish!)
3. Place the cut up chocolate bars into the vodka. It will look VERY unappealing at this point. Don’t panic.
4. If necessary, pour some of the saved vodka back into the bottle to fill to the top.
5. Place the lid back on and secure tightly. We were worried about leaks, so we also secured the lid with some duct tape, which worked well.
6. Now, place the vodka into the bottom rack of the dishwasher and run for one normal cycle.
7. Wait for a seeming eternity for the dishwasher to finish.
8. Once the dishwasher is done, take the…