Cauliflower is a great, versatile veggie – you can serve it mashed in place of potatoes or even as a grain-free pizza crust. This simple but flavorful dish shines as a side paired with grilled meat or as an entree on its own. Cauliflower is a nutrition-packed powerhouse that's an anti-inflammatory and loaded with vitamins and minerals. The sulforaphane in cauliflower kills cancer stem cells and has also been found to improve blood pressure and kidney function.
1 large head of cauliflower
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes for vegan option)
1/4 cup cold butter (or 1/4 cold solid coconut oil for vegan option)
1 handful basil leaves (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Break cauliflower into small florets, remove the biggest part of the stem and discard, wash florets and let drain in a colander.
3. Place cauliflower florets in a cast iron pan or other oven-proof dish large enough to place all florets in one layer.
4. Add salt, pepper, and olive oil and mix well with your hands, making sure all nooks and crannies of the cauliflower florets are covered with oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Prepare the almond crumble by first mixing Parmesan and almond flour together then adding small cubes of cold butter. Use your hands to break the cubes of butter up into pea-size bits while mixing together with dry ingredients.
6. Sprinkle almond crumble over cauliflower and roast for 30-40 minutes depending on desired consistency. Use a fork to test for softness after 30 minutes and adjust roasting time accordingly.
7. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil for decoration.