I love my vegan galette crust so much, I am always looking for ripe fruit in season to whip it up on the spot! I have made it with pears, apples, peaches and nectarines and of course strawberries, the inspiration for my original classic vegan rustic strawberry galette. Here is my latest variation, made with fresh cherries: WOW…absolutely delicious! It’s true, it’s a little more work because you have to pit the cherries one by one, but it’s so worth it! The ripe cherries give out their thick juices and coat the “buttery” crust to perfection! It’s a gem, just look at the photo…need I say more?
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup confectioner sugar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup white wine
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp almond meal
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
12-15 fresh cherries rinsed, pitted, halved
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
Preheat oven 400F
1. Place all the dough ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until a soft ball forms (30 seconds). The dough will be sticky, that’s OK–sprinkle it with a little flour (no more than 1 Tbsp flour), enough to gather it in your hands and make it into a ball.
2. Place it on a piece of parchment paper and using a rolling pin, gently roll into a circle about 7 inch in diameter–it doesn’t have to be perfect.
3. Transfer onto baking sheet.
Mix applesauce, almond meal and vanilla extract and stir well with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.
1. Spread the custard evenly over the dough to within about ½ inch of the edge.
2. Spread the halved cherries in one layer, no need to arrange them in any way, they will be naturally beautiful.
3. Fold the edge of the dough up over the cherries to create a little border (see little video clip below).
4. Sprinkle the granulated sugar on top of the cherries and folded edge.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the cherries are juicy and tender and the crust is golden.
6. Sprinkle with a dusting of confectioner sugar for presentation if you’d like!
This recipe originally appeared on Cuisinicity.