The leaves are changing and our cravings switch from cooling foods to warm and nourishing foods. This delicious nutrient-packed side dish that compliments any meal or is great on its own. The roasted root vegetables get caramelized in the oven for a yummy treat. I always make extra and have them for lunch the next day, as well.
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 3 carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea or kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F (230C).
- Place the chopped root vegetables into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, and toss until well coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the vegetables into a deep roasting pan and roast for about 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir once about halfway through cooking.
Feel free to add rosemary, garlic, or any other spices to this dish.