This rich sauce served over pasta of your choice, has the added health benefits of mushrooms. It's delicious, warming and great for any night of the week.
2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, diced
2 ounces white mushrooms, diced
1 medium onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb extra lean ground beef or meat alternative
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes (be sure to buy BPA-free cans)
1 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 teaspoon basil
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 large bay leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 lb spaghetti (gluten-free or regular)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package.
2. In a deep skillet, heat the oil, add the garlic and saute for a few seconds.
3. Next, add the onions and continue sauteing until the onion is tender and transparent.
4. Add the hamburger and brown, crumbling it as you do.
5. Drain in a colander. If you are watching your fat intake, you may want to rinse the hamburger mixture under hot water.
6. Return the hamburger to the skillet and add the rest of the ingredients.
7. Heat until bubbly.
8. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
9. Serve the sauce over the noodles.