A delicious vegan lentil soup to keep you warm and satisfied any day of the week!
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalk of celery
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or more if you like it spicy!
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby kale
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice to taste
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and thyme and stir for about 30 seconds. Pour in drained diced tomatoes and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the red lentils, broth, and water. Add 1 teaspoon salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and fresh ground pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Leave soup chunky or blend with an immersion blender to preferred consistency.
- Add baby kale and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in lemon juice to taste. Add extra salt, pepper, lemon juice, or red pepper flakes if needed.
DISCLAIMER: This recipe contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the ingredient links, Naturally Savvy will receive a small commission so we can keep pumping out amazing recipes like this one. Thank you so much for your support!
Read this next: Creamy Red Lentil Squash Soup
Leave a Comment