A delicious vegan lentil soup to keep you warm and satisfied any day of the week!
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalk of celery
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or more if you like it spicy!
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby kale
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice to taste
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin and thyme and stir about 30 seconds. Pour in drained diced tomatoes and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the red lentils, broth and water. Add 1 teaspoon salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Leave soup chunky or blend with an immersion blender to preferred consistency.
- Add baby kale and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in lemon juice to taste. Add extra salt, pepper, lemon juice or red pepper flakes if needed.
DISCLAIMER: This recipe contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the ingredient links, Naturally Savvy will receive a small commission so we can keep pumping out amazing recipes like this one. Thank you so much for your support!
For more delicious healthy recipes, be sure to sign up for our newsletter:
Read this next: Creamy Red Lentil Squash Soup
Leave a Comment